Wednesday, September 23, 2015

I mean no disrespect to my great grandmother

I'm going to share with you my great grandmother's and nana's German chocolate cake frosting recipe. It's kind of a family secret.

Here's what you'll need for the frosting:
• 1 cup evaporated milk
• 1 cup sugar (I like the organic I can get either at Costco or Trader Joes. It tastes and smells better)
• 3 egg yolks (Use the whites for an omelet. They can be frozen too for later use.)
• 1/4 lbs sweet cream butter
• 1 tsp vanilla

Combine in a medium sized pan on medium to low heat and cook for 12 minutes or until thickened. Use a whisk stirring constantly. It's ok if you have little flecks of yellow cooked yolk but you don't want clumps.

With a spoon add:
• 1 1/3 cup grated coconut. My great grandma used Baker's but there are more options now
• 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Stir until smooth. You can spread on chocolate sheet cake or two layer cake. It will taste delicious either way.

Tip: Find a chocolate cake recipe online or in a cookbook and make the cake from scratch. It's a lot easier than you think and tastes so much better without the extra sodium and preservatives that are in store bought cake mixes. I grew up with store bought cake mixes but my friend, Martha, in London told me how easy they are from scratch. And they really are - and cheaper to make.

Bon appetite and dessert is great with lunch!

No comments: