Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Just say "No" to rotting produce in the fridge

I don't know about you, but I buy beautiful produce at the farmers market and before I know it, it's rotting in my fridge veg drawer. I have the best intentions. I don't know where the days/time goes. No worries...do what my aunties and grannies did, and make a big pot of soup. So delicious, and a great way to use these veggies plus anything else you need to harvest in your garden.

I worked with what I had in my garden, veg drawer, plus used some fresh Fava beans a neighbor harvested and gifted me. Don't be afraid to add different vegetables to these if you don't have everything I included. Also, just cut and peel off the rotting produce parts before washing, chopping, and tossing into a large soup pot.

Here are the basics for my Italian/Spring harvest inspired veg soup:

  • 5-6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 1 can roasted tomatoes or 8-16 ounces fresh, washed and cut into chunks
  • 2-3 cups filtered water (I have a Brita water filter. Tap water will work to but may contain chlorine and minerals that have a 'taste.')
  • 32 ounces vegetable stock homemade or Pacific organic
  • 5-6 Swiss chard leaves washed and torn/chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried
  • 2-3 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil or 2-3 teaspoons dried
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt and fresh ground pepper 
  • 3 parsnips washed, peeled, and chopped into bite size chunks
  • 5-7 carrots washed, peeled, and chopped into bite size chunks
  • 3-4 potatoes scrubbed, bad bits removed, and chopped into bite size chunks
  • 2 leeks washed and thinly sliced
  • 1 red onion and shallot peeled and thinly chopped
  • 1 can red kidney beans thoroughly rinsed
  • 2-3 cups fresh Java beans 
  • 1/4 cabbage head washed and thinly sliced
  • Optional: fennel washed and thinly sliced
Cook on medium heat in a large soup or stock pot for two hours. Turn down to simmer if needed. Add more garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper based on your taste buds. I ladle this soup into glass jars, chill overnight in the fridge, and then load into the freezer for future lunch. Top with grated cheese or pair with a grilled cheese sandwich. Yum! Bon appetite!






No comments: